Gratitude and Goal Setting
We know that setting goals is an important part in achieving them. And although we often talk about saying YES to a healthy lifestyle and NO to underage drinking, not every conversation we have has to be about alcohol. It is also important to talk about making good decisions in general, surrounding ourselves with supportive peers, and being grateful for what we have—even if we sometimes see challenges come our way.
As we head into the new year and all the goal-setting that comes along with it, let’s take a moment to focus on what we do have and what we’re grateful for. To help with this, we can follow the lead of people like athlete and Classroom Champions mentor Cody Jones. Cody Jones has cerebral palsy, but he’s grateful for how his disability has gotten him to where he is today: A Paralympian in track & field.
What else is Cody grateful for?
- His disability: It’s his differences that allow him to speak to kids and adults alike to tell them that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
- His community: It’s his community—including his family—that helps him stay on track, stay healthy and find his center.
- Balance: Cody is grateful for being able to balance his favorite things like burgers (yum!) with other nutritious foods that keep him healthy and strong to compete.
- Organizations that help: Standing behind causes that are important to him help him feel supported and support others too.
- Each day: Cody is grateful for being able to start fresh each day. With each new day comes a chance to put his best foot forward and pave the way for his future successes!
We’ve compiled some prompts to start a discussion or help you journal about gratitude during your goal-setting-filled January and beyond! Here are supporting prompts from Cody’s video:
- What is it that makes YOU different from others, and why are you grateful for it?
- What community are you a part of (or going to be a part of in 2022!) that can help you be the best version of yourself or who do you look up to and want to be more like this year?
- Cody’s favorite In-and-Out burger is balanced by food at home that helps him stay healthy! What’s something you love to eat that helps you stay balanced?
- What’s a mantra you can use to help be the best you in 2022?
One final challenge
Just as you’re on a journey to be the best version of yourself in 2022, how about you inspire someone you care about? Tell someone in your life that you’re grateful for them and tell them why. Are you grateful for their friendship? Or how you can always go to them when you have a problem to solve?